EXTRACTED from current TERMS OF REFERENCE
The First Nations Environmental Assessment Technical Working Group (FNEATWG) acts as a resource body on First Nation environmental assessment (EA) practices for interested First Nations, First Nations organizations, the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) and other concerned agencies and organizations.
The First Nations Environmental Assessment Technical Working Group:
- Advises First Nations, First Nations organizations, the EAO and government agencies on issues relating to environmental assessment, including First Nations, provincial and federal EA processes;
- Develops and recommends on initiatives and strategies to assist First Nations, the EAO and government agencies in facilitating and supporting effective First Nations environmental assessment practices;
- Provides a forum for First Nations, First Nations organizations, the EAO, government agencies and industry for the purpose of information sharing, improving communications and commenting on EA-related initiatives of mutual interest;
- Facilitates sharing of information and networking on environmental assessment practices and policies between First Nations governments, First Nations organizations and government agencies;
- Supports the development of Environmental Assessment professional and technical capacity within First Nations governments and organizations;
First Nations’ and other governments and organizations appoint representatives to the FNEATWG without prejudice to their respective positions on aboriginal title and rights. The meetings of the FNEATWG and exchange of information and correspondence and communications between FNEATWG members do not in any way contribute to fulfilling governments’ obligations with respect to consultation with First Nations’ governments.